BendFilm Communications and Development Director
BendFilm is an independent Oregon film festival in the truest sense–rugged, brilliant, daring, adventurous, fun and engaging. Located in the wondrous mountain town of Bend, OR, we have been showcasing some of the best independent films in the Pacific Northwest and beyond for 19 years. BendFilm is an imaginative and thought-provoking film festival that should not be overlooked–it is intimate, allowing you immediate access to the next best filmmaker. If you are an indie film advocate or are just looking for a one-of-a-kind experience, our festival in Bend, Oregon is well worth the visit. For this one weekend each year our small community welcomes and showcases the world!
Bend Oregon is a culture-loving community that shares your passion for the creative arts. It is no wonder that over one thousand films get submitted to our festival every year. We host a wide variety of film genres that cover just about every topic imaginable. Our festival is hosted in a number of local theaters including a historic movie theater downtown, a state-of-the-art cinema, inside a craft brewery, a chic performance venue and BendFilm’s very own year-round cinema, the Tin PAN Theater! The BendFilm organization values equity, diversity, and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer.
Job Location: Bend, OR
Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Full Time-Exempt Position
BendFilm is currently seeking a full-time Communications and Development Director to lead communications and fundraising activities in a dynamically expanding non-profit organization that operates regular events of large and small scale and a daily operating movie theater. The ideal person will be enthusiastic, well organized, technically proficient, well-versed in the majority of digital marketing and communications systems and passionate about working in the arts and culture arena.
The Communications and Development Director’s (CDD) primary role is to drive both earned and contributed revenue growth by identifying connections and cultivating relationships, identifying, strengthening and executing granting opportunities, and implementing innovative campaigns to engage audiences, customers and donors. Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the CDD will work closely with the key leadership to develop and execute messaging and engagement campaigns and special events aligned with BendFilm’s mission, vision, and core values. The CDD will have experience and comfort directly and efficiently performing all tasks associated with communications, development, and grant writing as necessary to reach goals. The Director will have the ability to operate in a fast-paced, vibrant environment, enjoy working in the rapidly changing events and retail industries, move multiple projects forward, and utilize high-level strategic thinking as well as implement projects and tasks.
MARKETING AND OUTREACH RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create, manage and execute the complete daily communications schedule for all marketing and development communications throughout the year including all verbal, graphical, and written messaging to audiences, customers and donors.
- Work closely with the BendFilm Content Creator and Social Media Manager (Marketing team) to design and execute daily social media posts on all available social platforms not limited to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tik Tok, Linked In and Google My Business for both the BendFilm Festival and the Tin Pan Theater accounts.
- Develop and implement multiple strategic tactics to grow BendFilm’s digital presence on Google and all social media channels and meet ambitious audience growth goals.
- Develop relationships with national and local press to customize communications to publications announcing all relevant festival and year-round programming news. This includes developing relationships with press and updating media contacts and writing, sending and following up on press releases.
- Lead BendFilm’s public relations messaging which includes developing organizational talking points.
- Work closely with Content Creator, strategize, outline and review all weekly e-newsletters including utilizing innovative e-newsletter features to increase SEO and social media engagement.
- Actively and consistently review and direct the content team to update or execute directly all BendFilm website platforms including, but not limited to bendfilm.org, tinpantheater.com and all ticketing (CRM) platforms (BendFilm currently uses the Eventive system).
- Lead the development and completion of the annual Festival and/or year-round creative design working closely with the Executive Director, in-house marketing team and agency as necessary.
- Direct Content Creator to design all festival and year-round graphic elements for social channels, the website, advertisements and special communications, such as invitations and fill in on this scope when necessary.
- Lead audience, customer and donor outreach: Identify and initiate contact with local and regional partnering organizations or promotional partners to encourage event attendance and participation in special supplemental programs, such as panel discussions and post-screening engagements.
- Develop comprehensive and detailed plans and schedules to market all upcoming events and programs.
- Create an annual strategic revenue growth plan with new prospects, inclusive of foundation/corporate/institutional partners, sponsors, members, individual donors, and new assets/initiatives, and actively seek and develop opportunities.
- Nurture our culture of giving with our communities inside and outside of Bend, from Board Members, staff, volunteers, audiences, to Central Oregon residents and businesses, to our corporate sponsors/partners
- Monitor financial expenditures and progress against budgetary plans and take appropriate measures to meet top and bottom-line development goals, ensuring a high ROI in meeting revenue targets.
- Effectively utilize, systemize, and improve BendFilm’s technology platforms to support donor relationship management, marketing, communications, and growth.
- Oversee the design, creation, copywriting, and production of all media and collateral associated with development efforts through collaboration with our in-house marketing departments.
- Bring practical insight and best-practice strategy to the work of the Executive Director and Board of Trustees in revenue generation and serve as a resource to Board Members who engage in prospect/donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting to BendFilm’s Executive Director, Board of Trustees, and supporters to ensure transparency of development efforts.
- Plan and lead the management of large and small fundraising and donor stewardship events throughout the year, working cooperatively with project leads to reach fundraising goals, objectives, event sponsors and attendees.
- Be an active, bold and effective networker to strengthen corporate, foundation, individual and commercial relationships.
- Develop and implement strategic plans and best practices for revenue growth, driving and encouraging creativity and innovation.
- Provide leadership, direction and coaching to BendFilm Board to help members meet individual and team annual goals/targets.
- Work with Executive Director, Advisors and Board Members to identify potential new donors and reach out to ask for support with their assistance.
- Responsible for sustaining and furthering relationships and care of foundations, corporations, and other donors keeping them engaged, informed and inspired to grow long-term funding relationships.
- In collaboration with BendFilm Executive Director, identify grant funding opportunities for current programs and future initiatives.
- Perform all grant writing, budgeting and additional documentation responsibilities including managing timeframes and submissions.
- Actively track grant activities and results in the Grants Calendar document.
- Build and sustain relationships with various grant managers.
- Perform all grant reporting requirements for successful grant opportunities.
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCY
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills coupled with working independently, efficiently and a detailed-orientation approach to work.
- Demonstrates an extensive computer proficiency, competence with office software, knowledge of customer or audience CRM systems and system development, as well experience with various fundraising platforms.
- Extensive comfort and experience with online messaging platforms in general including all Google apps, spreadsheets, social media platforms, various website CMS’, Mailchimp, and more.
- Be comfortable designing, directing and implementing graphic elements and copywriting for marketing communications on multiple platforms.
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organization and be flexible to respond to changing priorities.
- Capability to establish rapport with high-level donors, members of the Board and committee members.
- Demonstrated experience with peer-to-peer fundraising and corporate relationships.
- Strategic thinking abilities with strong planning, organizational and implementation skills.
- Experience with fiscal planning, forecasting, and budgeting.
- Public presentation capabilities to engage small or large groups of participants, volunteers, and donors.
- Travel may be needed to visit various sites and donors throughout Oregon.
- In-person participation in monthly presentations to the Board of Trustees as part of the BendFilm leadership team to review progress in strategic revenue growth in sustainable development, major gifts, and grants.
- Meet weekly with BendFilm Executive Director to review communications reports, funding reports, work plan, communications schedule, and strategy and tactics to meet goals.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university
- 5+ years of progressive responsibility and related experience in nonprofit development/fundraising, sales/business development, marketing, communications, and/or revenue growth possibly combined with nonprofit experience.
- Proven track record of achieving financial goals & successful strategies.
- Knowledge of corporate sponsorship development and grant writing
JOB TYPE: Full-time
Pay commensurate with experience
Health Care Benefits available
Holiday Paid Time Off available
Matching SIMPLE IRA also available
Provide cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Listing closes on August 8th, 2022 and position starts September 6, 2022 or sooner.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described though feel you are capable of meeting expectations. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact email@example.com to discuss your application.
THE BENDFILM MISSION:
BendFilm celebrates independent cinema’s unique power to enrich lives, amplify diverse voices, and inspire change while educating future storytellers and bringing vibrant festival experiences to communities across Central Oregon year round.